An exceptional leader is sought for the position of Chief Executive Officer & Director to steer Critical Stages Touring into our next phase of production, change and growth.
- Position Title: Chief Executive Officer & Director
- Location: The Arts Exchange, 10 Hickson Road, The Rocks, Sydney
- Reporting to: CST Board of Directors
- Basis: 1.0 FTE (full time)
- Starting: Late February/early March 2023
- Direct Reports: core staff of 6
- Indirect Reports: contract staff of 20+
Critical Stages Touring is Australia’s national touring theatre company – discovering and developing outstanding independent theatre for audiences everywhere. We create live performing arts experiences that can travel, connecting these with diverse regional communities, and fostering a sustainable and diverse national independent theatre sector. In addition to national domestic touring the company also reaches audiences internationally, and via digital broadcast platforms.
Critical Stages Touring is a not-for-profit company that has deductible gift recipient status.
Critical Stages Touring is currently supported by Create NSW Multi-Year Funding 2023-2025, and Playing Australia Multi-Year Investment from 2023-2025, with additional funding and initiative support from Creative Victoria, and the Australia Council for the Arts.
The position of CEO and Director engages with artists, arts companies, theatre and touring organisations, funding bodies, donors, governments, and a national and international network of venues and presenters to support the mission and vision of Critical Stages Touring.
You will be responsible for realising the Board’s stated vision, purpose and goals, and achieving the organisation’s KPIs.
This leadership role incorporates developing the annual program of activities for the organisation, artistic programming, tour development and delivery, financial management, fundraising and stakeholder engagement, government grants, and acting as the public face of Critical Stages Touring.
- Provide strategic leadership and vision across the organisation’s program of works, initiatives, and business development.
- Manage the organisation’s day-to-day operations, financial and reporting mechanisms, controls and monitoring systems, and advise the board on company performance and future direction.
- Work with the board and staff to develop and implement strategic, business, and financial plans.
- Curate and implement core programs, and explore new initiatives and works that support the organisation’s vision.
- Manage the curatorship of Critical Stages Touring’s artistic program including sourcing, assessment and selection of productions, in collaboration with the Critical Stages Touring team.
- Develop and grow the organisation’s funding capacity across government, philanthropic, and donor channels.
- Engage and contract creative, technical, and administrative personnel.
- Build the organisation’s reputation as one of the nation’s premier arts and culture producers, including representing the organisation and its suite of artistic partners at national and international arts markets and events.
- Develop and maintain strategic alliances and networks with the wider performing arts sector and other key stakeholders, and contribute to industry forums and initiatives.
- Manage the governance and compliance of the organisation and provide appropriate advice and reporting to the board.
The role of Chief Executive Officer and Director is crucial to organisational and sector-wide performance. We are seeking an outstanding individual who can contribute to the achievement of the organisation’s priorities, deliver sound management of resources, ensure financial sustainability, and develop and maintain excellent relationships with a national network of artists, arts organisations, funding bodies, and presenters.
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a high-level role with a contemporary performing arts producer or organisation.
- Have extensive knowledge of the current theatre and touring industries in Australia, their dynamics, key players, and current trends.
- Have proven ability to provide strategic leadership.
- Have demonstrated capabilities in administration and governance, project and program curation and management.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the producing process, including budgeting, time management, scheduling: and the skills required to lead and bring together artistic, production and technical elements in the realisation of our works and initiatives.
- Be highly proficient in funding and philanthropic development, with a demonstrated record of success with government-level funding applications.
- Be an excellent communicator, with the ability ability and confidence to network, lobby and represent the company and the sector on an industry and public platform.
- Be able to work collaboratively and respectfully with presenters and artists, as well as artistic and production teams and individuals, including staff members.
- Have a good understanding of the technical aspects of theatrical production and touring.
The role requires a highly self-motivated individual who can bring energy, enthusiasm, and inspiration to a small core team and our network of artists and presenters. You will be able to demonstrate personal integrity, diplomacy, tact, and kindness.
Please email an expression of interest outlining your suitability for the role, your reasons for applying, and addressing the selection criteria, along with your resumé to the Chairperson of Critical Stages Touring, Mark Thomas (markathomas720 @ gmail.com) stating in the subject line: Critical Stages Touring – CEO – Expression of Interest – your name.
Applications close: 11:59pm AEDT, Sunday, 29th January, 2023
If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com