Writer – Katherine Lyall-Watson
Director – Caroline Dunphy
Featuring -Roxanne McDonald and Barbara Lowing
Composer & Sound Designer – Dane Alexander
Lighting Designer – Christine Felmingham
Set Designer – Jonathan Shankey & Caroline Dunphy
Costume Design – Oscar Hannah Clark
Cultural Consultant – Nadine McDonald-Dowd
Dramaturg – Kathryn Kelly
Producer – Danielle Shankey
Community Engagement – Emily Coleman
Find out more about Belloo Creative here.
Rovers is a night of stories celebrating adventurous women.
Woven from true stories and wild machinations, this delightful & poetic work resonates with audiences of all ages.
Rovers is a contemporary comedy-drama and a nimble two-hander that has audiences laughing, crying and celebrating the grit and daring of women trailblazers.
Intrepid performers Roxanne McDonald and Barbara Lowing get behind the wheel and navigate the audience into risky terrain, journeying through the heart-lines of their lives and into the hilarious misadventures of the women who made them who they are today.
Join us for an epic adventure with two of Australia’s finest actors.
Available to Tour
Suitable for audiences 14+
60 minutes, no interval
Norpa, August 2018 (3 performances)
Brisbane Festival, September 2018 (6 performances)
What people are saying
“I remain gobsmacked, with lingering scenes, words and music still rattling around my brain. I want to witness it all over again!” Australian Stage
“under Caroline Dunphy’s direction, the hour-long share of outback tales of trailblazing women flies by as audience imaginations are invigorated and inspired” Blue Curtains Brisbane
“sincere and completely charming” XS Entertainment
“Barbara Lowing and Roxanne McDonald are resplendent in Rovers” Stage Whispers
“Thank you for bringing the stories of these women to the stage I didn’t know I needed it until I saw it” — Anonymous Audience Survey
More to know about Rovers
- Rovers will appeal to audiences 16-65+ who are interested in:
True stories of inspiring Australian women;
Original Australian contemporary theatre;
Australian feminist and indigenous history;
Theatre that sparks lively discussion in the foyer;
Drama & English students & their teachers (!6+).
- This is a highly original and entertaining performance celebrating the stories of adventurous women.
- It’s an opportunity to see two outstanding senior female performers, and two of Queensland’s best-loved actors, Barbara Lowing & Roxanne McDonald.
- Roxanne is a renowned Indigenous performer.
- Belloo Creative is an all-female, Brisbane-based company, whose award-winning previous work includes Motherland (Best Independent Production) & Hanako (Brisbane Festival).
- Based on true stories, the work is based on interviews with both actors whose lives provided inspiration for the play.
Audience & Community Engagement
Audience Development: Belloo can tailor audience engagement and development activities to suit local needs. Options available include:
- Artist Q&A: Pre / Post show audience members / VIP sponsors
- Acting W/Shops: Drama and English students and their teachers (16years+), community theatre groups / associations
- Yarning Circles: Women’s groups / Indigenous groups / Historical societies
- Teachers’ notes & Education Resources available upon request.
Consider alignment of performance dates with:
• International Women’s Week (March) • Mother’s Day (May) • NAIDOC Week (July) • QLD Senior’s Week (August) • International Day of Rural Women (October)
- Rovers was developed with the support of NORPA and premiered at NORPA on 17 August 2018.Belloo Creative is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland.Rovers is proudly supported by Creative Sparks. The Creative Sparks Fund is a partnership between the Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council to support local arts and culture in Brisbane.This project is supported by YWCA Queensland.Kathryn Kelly’s role supported by Queensland University of Technology.This project was supported by Queensland Theatre through the provision of in-kind venues.