The Vegetable Plot are:
Aspara Gus – Luke Escombe
Ru Barb – Paig Hoorweg
Sir Paul McCarrotney – Nick Hoorweg
Puppetry by Kay Yasugi
ARIA-nominated and beloved Aussie kids band serving up a funky-fresh soundtrack to the food revolution for kids, families and foodies.
Serving up a bumper crop of catchy tunes, colourful characters, sweet harmonies, dances, jokes and truly rotten puns, this soilful bunch will plant seeds of inspiration in your hearts that will blossom for years to come. Their music is earthy, rootsy, organic and layered, offering plenty of funky goodness for parents to sink their teeth into while the little ones are shaking their stems on the dance floor.
Weaving hit songs like ‘Avocado’, ‘Mango’ and ‘Pajamazon Jungle’ with delightful puppetry by Kay Yasugi, Pajamazon Jungle is an all-new adventure serving up love and peas to little ones who are ready to boogie.
Come and join Aspara Gus, Ru Barb and Sir Paul McCarrotney as they show you why people all over the world are joining their joyful conspiracy.
Winner of Best Children’s Show at Sydney Fringe 2022.
Available to Tour
Children Theatre, Musical Theatre, Comedy, Puppetry
Theatre (Proscenium), Civic/Cultural Centre, Black Box, Studio, Thrust, Town Hall
1 Production/Stage Manager
What people are saying
”What really kept me engaged was the sheer level of lyrical intellect and complexity, something that promises to keep the parents entertained while the kids are having a blast. Excellent morals delivered in a wonderful way by passionate people.” What’s On Sydney
“Season Two is a sensational album – sonically rich, and showing off some seriously impressive musicianship. It’s also wonderfully entertaining, with the hilarious ‘Mr. Potato’ one of the best cuts.” Kinderling Radio
“Escombe’s group is beautifully together, experienced and artfully aware of what excites children… The parents will love the show, because the music is top notch and the overarching philosophy right on point, giving them a break from the passionately loved songs of Peppa Pig and that Disney obsession we all love to hate.” Lisa Thatcher
- Families with Kids 2-6 years old: a fun and interactive fun musical experience for little ones that keeps them dancing and engaged throughout.
- Fans of The Vegetable Plot: Leverage The Vegetable Plots existing audiences (particularly in NSW and VIC) and great assets – the band knows how to engage existing nad new audiences in their delicious brand of fun.
- Music Enthusiasts & Educators: Pajamazon Jungle is a brilliant introduction to live music, and a fun extensions for little ones who like to groove. For music educators, local music schools, and preschools, the show is an ideal outing or excursion for groups!
- Flexible Presentation – the work is at home in theatres large and small with the added flexibility to fit into town halls, libraries, galleries, and activated spaces.
- Strong Festival Appeal – a great choice for children’s and music festivals, but one that sits comfortably in programming for festivals looking for ways to engage young families in theatre and music.
- Educational Value – alongside the entertainment, Pajamazon Jungle subtly weaves in valuable messages and positive morals in an entertaining way.
- Interactive & Playful: The event encourages active participation from the audience through dancing, singing, and interacting with the characters. The Vegetable Plot know how to keep little ones engaged!
- Workshops & Community Activation – see below…
Awards & Accolades
- Winner – Children’s category of the International Songwriting Competition
- Winner – Sydney Fringe Best Children’s Show 2014
- Winner – Sydney Fringe Best Children’s Show 2022 (Pajamazon Jungle)
- Nominated – ARIA Awards – Best Children’s Album
- Nominated – AIR Awards – Best Children’s Album
- Over 2 million streams on Spotify
- Part of the ABC Kids music family
Magic Garden Workshop
Join the award-winning children’s band for a journey into the magic garden of the human imagination, as experienced by hundreds of sprouts at the Sydney Opera House.
Learn about vocal warm-ups and sweet harmonies from Ru Barb, feast on songwriting secrets from Aspara Gus, get groovy with Sir Paul McCarrotney, and then use what you’ve learnt to help the band write something fresh and new.
Built around some of The Vegetable Plot’s most popular songs like “Avocado”, “Melon Collie” and “The Pajamazon Jungle” this workshop is all about exploring creativity and planting seeds of musical inspiration that will blossom for years to come.
Duration: 45-60 minutes
Community Concert Opportunity
We’re keen to talk to presenters with local orchestras, or classic and contemporary music groups for a concert collaboration opportunity that sees local musicians work with The Vegetable Plot to produce a special concert for families.
The collaboration starts online and can be facilitated in just 2-3 days in town, and incorporates well-known family classics such as ‘Peter and the Wolf’ along with Vege Plot favourites for a concert the whole community can enjoy. It’s a fantastic opportunity to include local artists and performers in an event that will introduce the joy of classical music to children as young as 2.
In a nutshell:
- 7 fully orchestrated Vegetable Plot songs plus classical favourites.
- for local orchestras we’d need a local conductor to assist.
- can be adapted to chamber orchestras, local choirs, bands, and music groups.
- Best suited to adult groups and musicians with some experience
About Vegetable Plot
The Vegetable Plot is an internationally award-winning band on a mission of Love and Peas. Serving up a bumper crop of catchy tunes, colourful characters, sweet harmonies, dances, jokes and truly rotten puns, this soilful bunch will plant seeds of inspiration in your hearts that will blossom for years to come. Their music is earthy, rootsy, organic and layered, offering plenty of funky goodness for parents to sink their teeth into while the little ones are shaking their stems on the dance floor. So come and join Aspara Gus, Ru Barb and Sir Paul McCarrotney as they show you why people all over the world are joining their joyful conspiracy.