Red Stitch Actors’ Theatre & Critical Stages Touring
Written by Jane Bodie
Featuring Brigid Gallacher, Emily Goddard and Simon Maiden
Director Julian Meyrick
Composer Mark Seymour
Dramaturgs Ella Caldwell & Iain Sinclair
Set & Costume Design Greg Clarke
Lighting Design Efterpi Soropos
Sound Design Justin Gardam
A play about family, the land and being the one who stays. With original music by Mark Seymour.
Written by multi-award winning playwright Jane Bodie, LAMB is a touchingly beautiful play with songs featuring original music by Mark Seymour (Hunters and Collectors). LAMB follows two generations of family, set on an Australian sheep farm.
A bittersweet story of Annie, Kathleen and Patrick, three siblings born onto their parents’ property, LAMB explores the lies and secrets kept, loves lost and opportunities missed. Told with subtlety and humour, LAMB spans 40 years, telling an intimate story of one family and rural life. Mark Seymour’s exquisite original songs feature as part of the story throughout the production.
Theatre, Drama, Music
Suitable for audiences 15 and over. Moderate language, Adult content.
Approx. 130 minutes including interval
What people are saying
“One of the smartest and most moving plays that I’ve seen in quite some time…. This play needs to be performed all over the country. It is now ready to rock and roll, it must be programmed across the nation. Its a wonderful wonderful play, it will work in the big theatres, it will work in the regions. It’s flawlessly directed by Julian Meyrick.” Michael Cathcart, The Hub on Stage,
…elegantly crafted three-hander delivers intimate and textured domestic drama, drawing an intricate study of grief…Director Julian Meyrick composes everything at a gentle pace, combining an elegiac stage picture, Seymour’s music, and sympathetic portrayals,” – ★★★★, The Age
“Insightful and moving, her (Bodie’s) depiction of her characters sharpened by their sadness, anger and love.” – Stage Whispers
“…simply beautiful storytelling…flawless and inseparably outstanding actors…highlights just how good, good writing can be…Lamb feels like a privilege and it will long linger as an absolute heart-warming joy…” – Australian Stage
“…an affecting piece of work.” – The Herald Sun
“…the most heartbreaking and fascinating of family portraits…sinks deep into your skin and remains well after you leave…one of the most moving and fascinating pieces of theatre that has played on a Melbourne stage this year.” – Theatre Press
“The songs (music and lyrics Mark Seymour) throughout underpin the story. And they’re beautiful. And beautifully performed…a fragile, beautiful piece” – Daily Review
“[Seymour is] one of the country’s finest vernacular songwriters … The songs grow on you like a landscape, from the back of a flatbed, sun on your skin and the sky vast above you.” – Daily Review
More to know about LAMB
– Themes of family, sacrifice, and life on the land will inspire broad age range and have particular resonance with our rural theatre lovers.
– New original music specific to the show by iconic Australian musician, Mark Seymour (Hunters and Collectors). Mark is an Australian icon and provides a recognisable reference point to mitigate risk for less frequent theatre goers
– Broad demographic appeal. Young female character, along with music component, appeals to a younger theatre lovers.
– The play has been listed on the VCE Theatre Studies Unit 4 Playlist for 2020. It is appropriate for Yr 11 & 12 Tertiary students.
– Written by highly acclaimed and award-winning playwright, Jane Bodie.
– Previous acclaimed Red Stitch tours (Jurassica, The Kitchen Sink, Stop.Rewind, Red Sky Morning) support trust in the material and company recognition
– This is a local Australian story addressing universal themes. It is accessible and directly relevant to regional audiences.