Written by Steve Rodgers
Cast Ella Scott-Lynch, Mick Bani, Christian Byers, Ashley Hawkes, Kire Tosevski with Thomas Blake & Wylie Best
Director Blazey Best
Set & Costume Designer Isabel Hudson
Lighting Designer Verity Hampson
Sound Designer Tegan Nicholls
Original Composition by iOTA
One Woman. Four Men. She could be with any one of them.
At 22, on a date on the Gold Coast.
At 31, moving into an apartment in Albert Park.
Or at 40, happily married with a nine-year-old son living in Campsie.
Four very different worlds share an identical space; our homes.
This astonishing new play boldly tackles the timely issue of violence against women. Ella Scott-Lynch is exceptional, taking the audience on a powerful journey through the lives of multiple women in both familiar and terrifying situations.
Featuring Ella Scott-Lynch (Love Child, Newton’s Law, Janet King Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries) and directed by Blazey Best, King of Pigs reveals the nature of power, the way men abuse it, and the lives of the women who live through the lies.
KING OF PIGS WAS DEVELOPED WITH PLAYWRITING AUSTRALIA AT THE NATIONAL PLAY FESTIVAL AND IN THE NATIONAL SCRIPT WORKSHOP.
Available to Tour
Suitable for audiences 16+. Patrons are advised that this production contains material regarding sexual assault.
70 minutes (no interval)
Old Fitzroy Theatre, Sydney, September 2018 (27 performances)
What people are saying
★★★★ – “A harrowing, thoughtful, intelligent play. All the actors give strong, authentic performances. Ella Scott-Lynch is a standout, giving fierce, vulnerable performance” Daily Telegraph
★★★★ – “Rodgers’ surprisingly sensitive script… centres women and doesn’t excuse or downplay the behaviour of these men. Scott-Lynch gives a harrowing, frayed performance as the women who is all women who date and marry men.” Time Out
★★★★ – Ella Scott-Lynch plays all the women in a central performance that’s remarkable for its consistency, control and intelligence. Rodgers’ script is ingenious, sensitive and well served by first-time director Blazey Best. As well as drawing outstanding performances from the actors, particularly Ella Scott Lynch, she achieves a dramatically satisfying production with the technical team. It is disturbing, thrilling and fascinating. Recommended without reservation. Stage Noise
“A Must-See. It was a brilliant experience that shed much-needed light on a very real, close-to-home issue.” Backyard Opera
“Ms Scott-Lynch, gives a performance of much virtuosity covering the plight of her five women without judgment or sentimentality. It is a demanding task delivered with focused energy, skills & creativity. A tour de force.” Kevin Jackson’s Theatre Diary
“Uncompromising. A brilliant performance from Ella Scott-Lynch” The Australian
Nominee: Ella Scott Lynch – Best Female Actor in a Leading Role in an Independent Production Sydney Theatre Awards
- This is a work that is timely and will appeal to those who like drama that is relevant, is socially engaged and asks them to think.
- It will also appeal to drama lovers, who will be gripped by very strong performances.
- It is for audiences who like to be up-to-date with Australian playwrights and new Australian drama.
- The themes will resonate with both men and women, and it is important that it is marketed to both.
- Gripping, affecting, moving production about an important & sadly always topical issue.
- Outstanding central performance from Ella Scott-Lynch.
- Original performance involved fundraising night for local Women’s & Girls’ Emergency Centre, and highlighted important support services such as 1800RESPECT.
- Potential for presenters to connect with local womens’ group.
- Both cast members & writer/director are highly committed to giving the work a future life through touring and will be available for press.
We would be very open to further conversations about potential community engagement activities and how we can engage with this topic in your community pre & or post-performance.
Q & A’s post show on issues raised by the performance will be valuable opportunities especially providing an occasion to invite representative from local women’s groups to speak / participate / attend.
The cast will also be available for free workshops and masterclasses throughout the tour.