Critical Stages Touring’s goal is to make outstanding live theatre accessible to audiences throughout Australia. Our vision is to enable regional communities to have the same access to high quality theatre as metropolitan audiences, and to foster a sustainable and diverse national independent theatre sector. We support outstanding theatre artists to achieve their touring ambitions and regional presenters to achieve their audience development goals
Nurturing, developing and touring
Amazing Independent Theatre.
Amazing Independent Theatre.
Since 2005, we have partnered with presenters and artists around Australia to deliver outstanding independent productions engaging audiences from Bundaberg to Bunbury and beyond.
We broker relationships, connecting artists with presenters – whether they be festivals, small or large performing arts venues, or a much-loved community hall. We bring people together to create unforgettable experiences. We support our artists’ ambitions to breathe new life into their work and build sustainable practices, and we help our presenters foster a love and passion for the performing arts in their local audiences.
Through forums, mentorship and residencies, we also work closely with industry to provide opportunities to exchange ideas, start and continue vital conversations, build skills and resilience, and establish networks across the performing arts spectrum.
What we Do
Every year Critical Stages:
- Presents at 100+ regional, remote and metropolitan locations across Australia.
- Performs to tens of thousands of audience members.
- Employs over 60 performers, technicians and creative artists.
- Engages young, emerging and regionally-based artists in skills development workshops, masterclasses, forums and Q and A’s.
- Supports venues, presenters and communities around the country to engage new and existing audiences.
- Mentors NSW-based independent artists through year-round sector development initiatives.
We do this in order to support audiences and artists by:
- Increasing access for regional audiences to diverse and innovative new performances;
- Developing opportunities for regional artists to engage in meaningful exchange with touring artists;
- Engaging new audiences in unique theatrical experiences;
- Providing professional employment opportunities for outstanding independent artists;
- Building a strong and inter-connected, healthy, diverse and vibrant national theatre sector.
As an artist, Bernadette is passionate about exploring the intricacies of identity, belonging and cultural connection in Australia’s current socio-economic landscape. Her recent credits include: directing the Young Artist Ensemble for Q Theatre, assistant directing Lady Tabouli (National Theatre of Parramatta/Sydney Festival) and Young Frankenstein (Hayes Theatre 2021). Writing credits include: Mother (Commission for the Annual Youth Theatre Festival – Q Theatre), Fight or Flight (Intersection: Beat - ATYP) and tutaj/ هناك (here/there). She recently was Dramaturg for By The Grace Of (Antipodes Theatre’s Winter Development Retreat), Diary of One Who Disappeared and Fumeblind Oracle (Sydney Chamber Opera/Sydney Festival) and is currently undertaking an dramaturge mentorship underneath Jane Fitzgerald. She was awarded the 2019 Create NSW Young Creative Leaders Fellowship. Bernadette is the Artist in Residence at PYT, Fairfield and the Associate Creative Producer of Green Door Theatre Company.
How We Can Help You
FIND OUT WHERE YOU CAN SEE OUR CURRENT TOURING PRODUCTIONS
CHECK OUT OUR FULL SUITE OF SHOWS AVAILABLE TO TOUR
COLLABORATE WITH US OR JOIN US AT NEXT INDY THEATRE EVENT
Get in Touch
We can help you program outstanding contemporary theatre for your audiences
Mark Thomas (Chair)
Chris Drummond (Deputy Chair)
Robert Love OAM
Artistic Advisory Panel
Julian Louis (NSW)
Katrina Douglas (NSW)
Dino Dimitriadis (NSW)
Guy Boyce (WA)
Julian Hobba (WA)
Elena Carapetis (SA)
Richard Watts (VIC)
Daniel Clarke (VIC)
Jo Thomas (QLD)
Critical Stages Touring is supported by Create NSW on multi-year funding, and by the Australia Council for the Arts through Playing Australia as one of only four companies nationally awarded National Touring Status. It is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee, with DGR status and on the Register of Cultural Organisations. The company is based at The Arts Exchange at The Rocks in Sydney and lead by Chris Bendall, CEO, alongside a Board of Directors.