Thanks to support from the Australia Council and Playing Australia’s National Touring Status from 2018-2020, Critical Stages is able to tour up to four shows nationally each year. Our support from Create NSW allows us to tour two further works by NSW based artists each year to community venues around NSW.
Australian independent theatre producers, artists and companies
We recently launched our first open call-out to artists looking to tour around Australia, and especially to regional Australia. The EOI process closed in June. Watch this space for the date of our next open call out.
Here’s what we are looking for in touring productions:
- Our focus is on contemporary theatre and predominantly text-based theatre, music theatre or cabaret.
- It must be a work of outstanding quality, in all areas especially in terms of performances, writing and direction.
- It must have received strong critical and/or audience acclaim.
- If the work has already premiered you must have strong production imagery, video footage suitable for promotion on social media and local television and strong reviews. Vox pops of audience reactions are ideal.
- We preference new Australian work. This is not exclusive, but if it is an international work there must be a good reason as to why the work is relevant to Australian audiences, and especially regional Australian audiences.
- We are particularly keen to support works from First Nations writers, performers and producers and those of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds.
- We are interested in work that is innovative and original in content or form, and that advances the form of theatre.
- We are interested in work that has a strong and considered approach to community engagement – ie how are you going to engage a regional audience in this work? Are there original ways that you can interact with audiences around the themes of the production, offer Q and A’s or masterclasses, use local artists in your work or more. Are you interested in any form of residency in regional Australia, involving local communities in the development of a new work while you are on the road?
If you think you have a show that is perfect for touring with Critical Stages, we’d love to hear from you. Do invite us to see your show and give us plenty of notice. We try to see as much as we can, but do make sure you take great archive video and production photography while its on in case we can’t make it along.
Chris Bendall, CEO
Melanie Carolan, Creative Producer
INDY THEATRE FORUMS
Every few months we host theatre forums for the NSW independent theatre sector. These are opportunities for the sector to gather, network and talk about the current big issues facing independent theatre artists. Our next event is planned for Monday, 14th November 2017, 6pm @ the Arts Exchange, 10 Hickson Rd. This event will be a chance to talk about risk and innovation in our theatre making work and will feature a couple of guest directors talking about their artistic practice. So hold the date and watch this space for more information!
ARTIST & PRODUCER RESIDENCIES
Are you sick of working from home?
Here at Critical Stages we are throwing open our doors and inviting you to share our office as a creative and administrative space.
We are looking for a dynamic and driven NSW-based independent producer, company, collective or theatre maker to join us as a resident for the next 12 months from 2017/2018.
The residency provides free working space, infrastructure, support, and mentor advice, drawing on the collective knowledge of professional producers and arts administrators. Use us as a sounding board to help you get your next artistic project up and running or in taking your company to the next level.
What we are offering:
- Access to office infrastructure – internet, photocopying, fax, phone, stationary supplies, kitchen facilities, meeting facilities;
- The residency will be active from October 2017 to September 2018.
- One on one mentoring to look at company planning – long and short term, marketing strategy, publicity and touring potential;
- Regular networking opportunities with other residents and industry guests to share resources and knowledge;
- Limited access to our meeting rooms (which can double as small rehearsal spaces), plus office biscuits and much more…!
Previous residents’ feedback:
“The camaraderie from both Critical Stages and our fellow Residents has broadened our networks and made us feel included in the independent arts sector.” (Crack Theatre Festival)
“We found the residency useful for throwing around ideas with peers in an environment that was more collegiate than competitive.” (Arthur Theatre Company)
“It has been great for our management team to have a regular space to work in and this has had a profound affect on our productivity and professional practice.” (Matriark Theatre Company)
To apply simply email email@example.com by Friday 22nd September with a short overview about your company, your creative practice, your plans for 2017-2018 and how sharing an office with Critical Stages would assist your work.